PORT-AU-PRINCE— U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry stopped in Haiti's capital on Oct. 6 to discuss preparations for the country's upcoming elections and encourage people to refrain from disrupting balloting after a messy parliamentary first round in August.
"There are so many candidates it's impossible to focus on it all and see if a few might actually have good ideas. Right now, this whole thing really gives me a headache,'' secretary Germithe Merzilus said with an exasperated sigh as a group of partisans walked by in matching T-shirts touting a campaign.
Yves Dambreville was a kaleidoscope of identities -- Boston police officer, community liaison, Haitian, American, veteran, family man. The 66-year-old former officer was shot and killed in Port-au-Prince Wednesday, according to the U.S. Department of State.
Dambreville, a 33-year veteran of the police force and a committed advocate for the Haitian and larger Caribbean communities, has left behind a legacy of cultural outreach, friends and coworkers said.
“We extend our sincere condolences to his friends and family,” the State Department wrote in a statement. The department said it was “providing all appropriate consular services,” but declined to provide further information, citing privacy concerns.
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic— The main truckers union in the Dominican Republic on Monday blocked transport of all freight through border crossings into neighboring Haiti, citing concerns about their safety.
The Dominican truckers said they were protesting recent violence against them while in Haiti. They asserted that some 60 trucks were pelted with rocks in recent days and some were looted.
PORT-AU-PRINCE— A hostile comment made by Haitian President Michel Martelly at a campaign rally has set off an uproar in his coalition government, leading a politically allied party to announce the resignation of three officials from his administration last week.
The United States has updated its travel warning to its citizens, advising US citizens to "exercise caution" when visiting Haiti and "strongly" encouraging visitors to "obtain evacuation insurance." The advisory was issued by the US Embassy in Port-au-Prince online and on its Facebook page— which it uses to offer regular updates on potential security issues.
The history textbooks and official propaganda of Haitian governments since 1915 have perpetuated the notion that it was the “collapse of order” occasioned by the events of July 27th and 28th of that year (including the attack by pro-Caco masses against the National Palace, the massacre of political prisoners by order of police chief Charles Oscar, the flight of Vilbrun Guillaume Sam, his seizure from the French Consulate and eventual lynching) that brought about the United States intervention and occupation of Haiti.
The centennial, on July 28, of the start in 1915 of the 19-year occupation of Haiti by the U.S. brings back to Haitians everywhere feelings of frustration and revolt. We just can’t come to terms with the disgrace of the violation by hostile foreign troops of the land our ancestors had won heroically from France 111 years prior to the invasion.