A judicial panel in Haiti has recommended that former Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe be barred from running for president. The panel said late Tuesday that Lamothe failed to receive a government document certifying that he handled public funds appropriately while prime minister from 2012 until late last year.
An adviser to Lamothe, Salim Succar, called the decision "erroneous" and said Wednesday they would appeal.
Lamothe is one of about 70 people who registered to seek the presidency. The panel of electoral judges was asked to review the eligibility of 23 contested would-be candidates. It recommended the disqualification of Lamothe and two others late Tuesday while clearing others to run.
Haiti's electoral council is expected to soon release a final list of candidates for presidential elections expected in October.